Genesis and Opportunities
The World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA) was culmination of various initiatives undertaken by the NBA to create an environment for imparting world-quality technical and professional education in Indian campuses. The Summit first organised in 2012, is a biennial event that provides a platform to stakeholders to share information on new vistas of accreditation. WOSA enables a diverse sets of global organizations / institutions committed to quality education to join hand and work towards evolving a borderless common benchmark and standards in teaching and learning. In a fast emerging global society, common quality benchmarks would greatly help in promoting research, leadership and mutual learning across the technical, management and other professional campuses, which, in turn, helps seamless mobility during academic studies and supporting students take up career with industry. The NBA has organised the following four Summits in the past:
- The first summit was organised in March 2012 on the theme "Achieving Excellence through Accreditation".
- The second summit was organised in March 2014 on the theme "International Recognition of Education Qualification".
- The third summit was organised in March 2016 on the theme "Quality Assurance through Outcome Based Accreditation".
- The fourth summit was organised in Sept. 2018 on the theme "Challenges and Opportunities in Outcome Based Accreditation".
- The Fifth Summit is being organised on the Theme "Accreditation: A Tool to Promote Excellence in Education".
WOSA 2020WOSA 2020 Website
WOSA 2020, scheduled on 10-12th September 2020 at Hotel Ashok, New Delhi stands postponed due to the Covid-19 pandemic and ensuing lockdown all over the world.
WOSA 2018WOSA 2018 Website
World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2018) was organized at "The Ashok" Hotel, Chankyapuri, New Delhi from 7th to 9th September, 2018. The summit was inaugurated by Shri Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister for Human Resource Development (HRD) on 8th September, 2018. The main theme of the Summit was "Challenges and Opportunities in Outcome Based Accreditation", with the following Sub-themes:
- Achieving excellence through learning outcomes;
- Role of industry in technical education;
- Ranking and rating of higher education institutions - Do they have role in quality improvement?;
- Linking Government funding with quality; and
- Use of ICT in accreditation in large jurisdictions.
25 eminent academicians / industry professionals / leaders from accrediting agencies from India and abroad delivered plenary / keynote addresses during the Summit. The Summit was attended by about 900 delegates and well appreciated by the delegates and stakeholders.
The Summit facilitated exchange of ideas and views on various challenges being faced during the transition from "Input-Output Based Accreditation" to "Outcome Based Accreditation". It also provided an opportunity for academia and industry to explore avenues for future partnerships.
WOSA 2016WOSA 2016 Website
WOSA 2016 was organised from 18th to 20th March 2016 at Leela Ambience Hotel, Gurgaon (Delhi NCR). The summit was inaugurated by Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani, Hon'ble Minister, Human Resource Development, Govt of India. Prof. Anil D, Sahasrabudhe, Chairman, AICTE and Shri R. Subrahmanyam, IAS, Additional Secretary (TE), MHRD, Govt of India were the Guests of Honour. Prof Surendra Parsad, Chairman, NBA chaired the inaugural session and Dr. Anil Kumar Nassa, Member Secretary, NBA delivered the vote of thanks. The summit was attended by about 958 delegates from Australia, China, India, Malaysia, Oman, Singapore, South Korea, UK and USA.
The conference facilitated knowledge and information sharing on best practices in accreditation vis-a-vis to improve quality of education through attainment of learning outcomes, industry expectations from academia, effective use of ICT in education and learning and thereby leading to quality assurance through outcome based accreditation. There were two Plenary Sessions and five Technical Sessions during the Conference.
The theme of the summit was "Quality Assurance through Outcome-based Accreditation", with the following sub-themes:
- Accreditation: Global Best Practices;
- Improving Quality through Attainment of Learning Outcomes;
- Technical Education - An Indian Perspective;
- Industry Expectations from Academia; and
- Effective Use of ICT for Education and learning.
WOSA 2014WOSA 2014 Report
World 2014, the second in WOSA series of biennial conferences, was held at The Ashok Hotel, New Delhi from 8th to 10th March, 2014. The theme of the summit was "International Recognition of Educational Qualifications," with the following sub-themes:
- International Recognition of Professional Qualifications;
- Harmonization in Accreditation Practices;
- Bridging Academia and Industry;
- Outcome Assessment Tools; and
- Role of Government and Public Policy in Accreditation.
The Summit was inaugurated by Shri Ashok Thakur, Secretary (HE), MHRD and Prof. R. Natarajan, Former Chairman, AICTE was the Guest of Honour. Dr. Michael K.J. Milligan, Executive Director, ABET, delivered the keynote address and released the Sovenier. Prof. Surendar Prasad, Chairman, NBA delivered the welcome address and presented a brief on objectives and agenda of the Summit. Dr. Anil Kumar Nassa, Member Secretary, delivered the vote of thanks. A total number of 12 international and 26 national speakers delivered keynote and plenary their addresses on the themes and sub-themes of the summit. More than 700 delegates and invitees from various educational institutions, professional bodies, central and state Government Departments / organisations attended the Summit.
WOSA 2012WOSA 2012 Report
The first World Summit on Accreditation (WOSA-2012) was organized from 25th to 28th March, 2012 at The Ashok Hotel, New Delhi on the theme "Achieving Excellence through Accreditation". Shri Kapil Sibal, Honorable Minister of Human Resource Development (HRD) and Telecommunication, Govt. of India, inaugurated WOSA 2012 by lighting the ceremonial lamp. Shri G. Prabhakar, Former President, IE (I) introduced the guests and welcomed the delegates. Dr. Dinesh Kr. Paliwal, Member Secretary, NBA, presented a brief on objectives and agenda of the Summit. Dr. Hu Hanrahan, Chair of Washington Accord released the souvenir. Ms. Rekha Sethi, Director General of All India Management Association, New Delhi proposed the vote of thanks. Nearly 800 delegates from all states of India and other countries participated in this summit.