The need for accrediting technical education programmes has grown tremendously in order to impart quality education by quality Institutions in the wake of unprecedented growth in the number of educational Institution and the programmes offered by them. Accreditation is an exercise in quality assessment of the programmes. Such an exercise will ensure that the Institution indeed has, and likely to continue to have in the near future, the necessary instruments and resources, for the programmes to deliver technical manpower that not only meets the local industry requirements, but is also an acceptable human resource for the global job market in the Engineering and Technology sectors.
The programmes of the technical education Institutes approved by the All India Council for Technical Education, which have graduated at least two batches of students, are eligible to be considered for accreditation.
The intending Institution makes an application to NBA seeking accreditation of its programmes. The Institution submits information/data according to the format of Self Assessment Report (SAR) prescribed by the NBA, which is organized in the following four Parts:
Part I : Institutional Summary
Part II : Department/Programme Summary
Part III : Curricula and syllabi for the Degree programme along with Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs), Programme Outcomes and Assessment.
Part IV : List of Documents to be made available during the accreditation visit.
The following documents/ records are required to be made available by the Institution:
- Land papers, built-plan and approval etc.
- Composition of GC/GB, Senate and other Academic and Administrative bodies, their functions and responsibilities. List of all the meetings held in the past 3 years along with the attendance records. Representative minutes and action-taken reports of a few meetings of such bodies along with the list of current faculty members who are members of such bodies.
- Rules, policies and procedures published by the Institution including service book and academic regulations and other along with the proof that the employees/students are aware of the rules and procedures.
- Budgeted allocation and utilization : Audited statement of accounts
- Informative web site
- Library resources – books and journal holdings.
- Listing of core, computing and manufacturing labs etc.
- Records of T & P and career and guidance cells
- Records of safety checks and critical installations
- Medical care records and usages of ambulance etc.
- Academic calendar, schedule of tutorial and makeup classes
- Course handouts/files along with PEOs; list of additional topics to meet PEOs and outcomes.
- Set of question papers, assignments, evaluation schemes etc.
- Feedback form, analysis of feedback and corrective actions
- Documented feedback received from the stake-holders (e.g., Industries, Parents, Alumni, Financiers etc.) of the Institution
- List of faculty who teach first year courses along with their qualifications
- First year results.
- NBA accreditation reports of the past visits, if any
- Department budget and allocations of the past 3 years
- Admission – seats filled and ranks (3-year-data)
- List/Number of students who clear the program in 4-year (3-year-data)
- Av. Grade point (CGPA) (3-year-data of students CGPA/percentage)
- Placement and higher studies data (3-year-data)
- Professional society activities, events, conferences organized etc.
- List of students’ papers along with hard-copies of the publications; professional society publications/magazines etc.
- Sample best and average project reports/theses
- Details of faculty student ratio
- Faculty details with their service books, salary details, sample appointment letters, promotion and award letters/certificates
- Faculty list with designation, qualification, joining date, publication, R & D, interaction details
- List of faculty publications along with DOIs and publication/citation details
- List of R & D and consultancy projects along with approvals and project completion reports
- List and proofs of faculty interaction with outside world
- List of class rooms, faculty rooms
- List of program specific labs and computing facility within dept.
- List of non-teaching staff with their appointment letters etc
- List of short-term courses, workshop arranged and course-modules developed
- Records of new program specific facility created, if any
- Records of overall program specific improvements, if any
- Curriculum, PEO/Course objectives and Outcomes
- Known gaps in the curriculum vis-à-vis PEOs and Outcomes
- List of contents beyond syllabi and schedule in academic calendar, if any
- Course files, plan of course delivery, question papers, assignments, list of experiments etc.